Homemade granola is incredibly easy to make plus it’s cheaper and better for you than store-bought which often has lots of sugar, additives, and preservatives.
We always make a batch on a Sunday for the week ahead. It’s delicious with fresh fruit and yoghurt or coconut yoghurt, on top of smoothie bowls or chia puddings or out of the jar for a little snack.
- 3 Tbsp oil (coconut oil or butter)
- 2-3 Tbsp sweetener (maple syrup or raw honey)
- 2 Tbsp nut/seed butter
- 1 tsp spices (cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg)
- A dash of vanilla extract
- Pinch of sea salt
- 2 cups coconut chips
- 1 cup rolled oats or buckwheat groats
- 1 cup nuts of choice (roughly chopped)
- ½ cup seeds of choice
- Preheat the oven to 160 degrees celsius.
- In a small saucepan, melt together the oil, sweetener and nut/seed butter. Then add spice, vanilla and sea salt.
- Place the coconut, oats/groats, nuts and seeds into a large bowl and pour over the melted coconut oil mixture.
- Give it a really good stir to make sure everything is covered.
- Pop on a large lined baking tray and allow to cook for 15-20 minutes until golden (keep a close eye on it as the coconut burns easily).
- Allow to cool completely before putting them into an airtight container.
Here’s a combo we love:
3 Tbsp butter
2-3 Tbsp maple syrup
2 Tbsp tahini
1 heaped tsp cinnamon
A dash of vanilla extract
Pinch of sea salt
2 cups coconut chips
1 cup rolled oats
1 cup combo of almonds and cashews (roughly chopped)
½ cup combo of sunflower and pumpkin seeds