Make the chilli con carne (store in an airtight container in the fridge)
- 1 red onion (finely diced)
- 1 carrot (finely diced)
- 1 zucchini (finely diced)
- 2 garlic cloves (crushed)
- 500g beef mince
- 1 Tbsp ground cumin
- 1 Tbsp ground coriander
- 1 Tbsp paprika
- 1 tsp chilli flakes
- 2 Tbsp tomato paste
- 400g tin kidney beans (rinsed and drained)
- 400g tin chopped tomatoes
- 1 cup frozen sweet corn
- ¼ cup chicken, vegetable or beef stock or water
- Olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- Add olive oil, onion, carrot, zucchini, garlic, salt and pepper to a large pan, over medium heat for 5-10 minutes or until soft. Remove from the pan and set aside.
- Cook the rice as per the packet instructions.
- Add a little more olive oil to the pan over high heat and add the mince, cook for 5-7 minutes or until the meat has browned and any liquid has evaporated. Add the cumin, coriander, paprika and chilli flakes and cook for a couple of minutes.
- Add the cooked vegetables to the mince, along with the tomato paste, kidney beans, chopped tomatoes, frozen corn and stock; let simmer for 10-15 minutes or until reduced. Season to taste.
- Allow cooling, before transferring into the container and into the fridge.
Make the pickled onions* optional (store in a glass jar in the fridge)
- 1 red onion (finely sliced)
- ½ cup water
- ½ cup red wine vinegar, apple cider vinegar or white wine vinegar
- 2 tsp sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- Add the sliced red onion to a glass jar.
- In a small saucepan add the water, vinegar, sugar and salt.
- Bring to a boil and then remove from the heat.
- Pour the boiling vinegar mixture over the onions and let sit for at least an hour before putting the lid on and placing it in the fridge.