Make the pickled onions (store in an airtight container in the fridge)
- ½ red onion (sliced)
- ¼ cup water
- ¼ cup red wine vinegar, apple cider vinegar or white wine vinegar
- 1 tsp sugar
- ½ tsp salt
- Add the sliced red onion to a glass jar and set aside. In a small saucepan add the water, vinegar, sugar and salt. Bring to a boil, then remove from the heat and pour over the onions.
Prepare the falafel patty mix (store in an airtight container in the fridge)
- 400g tin of chickpeas (drained, rinsed and patted dry)
- ½ red onion
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 carrot (grated)
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1 lemon (zest)
- 1 cup fresh parsley (loosely packed)
- 1 cup fresh coriander (loosely packed)
- 1 Tbsp sesame seeds (toasted)
- ¼ cup flour
- Salt and pepper
- To make the falafel patties start by adding the chickpeas to a blender, nutribullet or food processor, and blend until the texture is chunkier than a fine crumb. Place into a large bowl.
- Add the onion and garlic to the blender and blend until a paste forms. Add the carrot, cumin, coriander, lemon zest and fresh herbs; blend until combined.
- Add the onion and herb mixture to the chickpeas, then add the flour and sesame seeds; mix well to combine.
- Pop into an airtight container and form patties before cooking.
Make the tzatziki sauce (store in an airtight jar in the fridge)
- 1 cup greek yoghurt
- 1 garlic clove (crushed)
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 lemon (juice)
- ½ cucumber (grated and squeezed)
- ¼ cup mint (finely chopped)
- Add all the ingredients (except the cucumber and the mint) into a medium bowl and mix well to combine. Add the cucumber and mint, and gently stir through; season with pepper.