Prepare the brown rice quinoa mix (store in an airtight container in the fridge).
- ¾ cup brown rice
- ¼ cup quinoa
- 1 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- ⅓ cup almonds (roasted and roughly chopped)
- 5 dried dates (finely chopped)
- Cook the brown rice and quinoa. Add the rinsed brown rice and quinoa to a small pot with a pinch of salt and 2 cups of water. Bring to the boil before turning down to a gentle simmer for 25 minutes. After 25 minutes, turn off the heat and let it sit undisturbed for 10 minutes.
- Once the brown rice, quinoa mix has cooked spread it out over a large plate to cool. Once it’s cooled slightly transfer it into a bowl and drizzle over the olive oil and apple cider vinegar and add the dates and almonds.
- Allow to cool completely before transferring to an airtight container.
Make the the herby, yoghurt dressing (store in an airtight container in the fridge).
- 3 Tbsp greek yoghurt
- 2 Tbsp tahini
- 1 lemon (juice)
- ¼ cup coriander
- 1 garlic clove
- ¼ cup coriander (finely chopped)
- To make the dressing add the greek yoghurt, tahini, lemon juice, ¼ cup of the coriander, and 1 clove of garlic to a blender and blend until smooth and creamy. Pour into a small jar or bowl and stir through the remaining ¼ cup of finely chopped coriander.
Make the pickled onions, if using (store in a glass jar in the fridge).
- 1 red onion (finely sliced)
- ½ cup water
- ½ cup red wine vinegar, apple cider vinegar or white wine vinegar
- 2 tsp sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ tsp peppercorns (optional)
- ½ tsp coriander seeds (optional)
- ½ tsp cumin seeds (optional)
- Add the sliced red onion to a glass jar.
- In a small saucepan add the water, vinegar, sugar, and salt.
- Bring to a boil and then remove from the heat.
- Pour the boiling vinegar mixture over the onions and let sit for at least an hour before putting the lid on and placing it in the fridge.